As expenditures for work-related injuries increase at a rapid rate, business and industry continually look for ways to control these costs. Statistics taken from the Tennessee Department of Labor report 157,000 injuries and illnesses in 1998. Of these incidents, 44,000 resulted in days away from work or restricted duty. There were 2.1 cases with days away from work for every 100 full-time employees.
Benefits of a Comprehensive Occupational Health Program
- Reduces costs as a result of early intervention, prevention and elimination of unnecessary medical services
- Opens lines of communication
- Reduces lost time by utilization of injury coordinators and emphasis on early return to work
- Avoids the delays of specialist referral through the development of a physician networking process
- “One-stop shopping” for meeting occupational and environmental health needs
- Assists with OSHA medical surveillance requirements
Employee Assistance Program
Studies show that happy employees with good work attitudes have decreased absenteeism, fewer safety violations and increased quality and quantity of work. Our E.A.P. service provides confidential professional help to the individual employee faced with problems outside the workplace that have a negative impact on job performance.
Licensed counselors are available to help employees or family members deal with specific problems that affect their work performance and productivity.
Services are available throughout the tri-state area. Assistance is provided for alcohol and/or chemical dependency, emotional distress, marital difficulties, financial matters, and legal issues, among others.
Counseling offices are available throughout the region, including Chattanooga, Cleveland, South Pittsburgh and Athens. Our E.A.P. service maintains a nationally certified and state-licensed E.A.P. professional.
Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Services
Utilizing a variety of services, this department evaluates the injured worker and develops a plan for returning the individual to his or her maximum functional level as quickly as possible. Our staff of licensed physical therapists works closely with the physician and employer to maximize work potential.
Components of this service include:
- Functional Capacity Examinations
- Work Site Job Analysis
- Injury Management
- Prevention Services including Ergonomic Evaluation, Education, Stretch Break and Exercise Programs
Health promotion and wellness programs are simply positive health strategies which help to control medical costs. Programs provided by Occupational Health Services can impact both the quality of your employees' lives as well as how your organization's healthcare dollars are spent. Many of these programs can be offered at the workplace, thus providing convenience and a significant cost savings to your employees.
Among the services we provide through the preventative medicine/wellness programs are:
- Health Risk Assessments (to determine risks for heart attack, cancer and diabetes)
- Health Promotion Education (such as stress management, smoking cessation, and weight management)
- Exercise and Fitness Testing
- Health Screenings (blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, Prostate Specific Antigen testing)
- Vaccination Programs (ie. flu)
- Assistance with Foreign Travel Medical Requirements
Many of these services can be performed at your work site, providing convenience and saving you time and expense.
Occupational and Environmental Health Services
Occupational Health Services is dedicated to an aggressive approach to both the prevention of injury and illness and the restoration of physical well-being. Among the services we provide to area industry and business are:
Worker's compensation costs continue to rise each year in lost time expense, medical treatment, replacement costs and insurance premiums. Through the utilization of our computer tracking program and the development of clinical pathways, Occupational Health Services is able to expedite the process of returning the employee to the workplace. Key components in our injured worker cost control strategies are:
- Open communication between all involved parties
- Computerized health and injury tracking
- Work site and clinical consultation services
- Referral networks
- Return-to-work guidelines
- Impairment ratings
- Company-specific protocols
Occupational Health Services provides you with the resources to evaluate a potential employee's physical fitness for the job with customized screening and testing to meet your company specific needs. We provide a wide variety of medical evaluations and testing that are regulated by state and federal agencies such as NIOSH, OSHA, TOSHA, and the CDC. Compliance monitoring the health of your employees is our expertise.
Services include but are not limited to:
- Physical Examinations (pre-placement, annual, DOT, fit for duty, executive and government)
- Drug Testing Services
- Vision Screenings
- Pulmonary Function Testing/Spirometry & Respiratory Clearance Examinations
- Laboratory Services
- Radiology Procedures
- Biological Testing
- TB Skin Testing Programs
- Hepatitis B Immunization Programs
- Influenza Vaccine Programs
- MMR Vaccine
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccine
- Tetanus Immunization
Services which can be provided on site for your business include:
- Health Screenings
- Safety and Medical Audits
- Educational Programs
- Pulmonary Function and Respiratory Fit Testing
- Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Nurse Placement
Parkridge Health System Accessibility and Services:
- Radiology Services
- Surgical Services
- Outpatient/Inpatient Services
- Emergency Department
- Mental Health Evaluations and Consultation